10 Rhinoplasty Facts You Should Know
Contemplating on rhinoplasty? We’ve got some quick and interesting facts on the procedure below. Of course, you should continue to do thorough research on the procedure and the plastic surgeon you want to see, but here’s a guide to get you started on what you should know about rhinoplasty.
- The first documentation of rhinoplasty was noted in ancient Egypt.Surgery of the nose was mentioned in the Edwin Smith Papyrus, an ancient medical text dated to the Old Kingdom from 3000 to 2500 BC.
- Rhinoplasty can alter and enhance the nose in several ways.
The tip can be reduced and refined; crooked noses can be straightened; wide noses can be thinned out; nose bumps can be shaved down.
- Nose surgery (also known as septoplasty) can help a person with their breathing.Some people have difficulties breathing properly through their noses. Airway blockages may occur from trauma within the nose’s structure such as the septum. A patient can have septoplasty alone to alleviate their breathing concerns, or they can combine it with rhinoplasty to alter the appearance of their nose.
- A person needs to wait until a certain age to get rhinoplasty.
This is to ensure that the facial skeleton has matured and that the nose won’t continue to grow.Every person is different, but women should be 15-16 years old before having rhinoplasty. Men should be 16-17 years old.
- If you’re hesitant about surgery, you can get injection rhinoplasty.
The results aren’t permanent—they can last up to 1-2 years. Right after treatment, you’ll see a change in your nose. Your plastic surgeon will use soft tissue fillers such as Voluma and Restylane to alter the appearance of your nose.
- Some plastic surgeons specialize in ethnic rhinoplasty.
One of the main goals of ethnic rhinoplasty is to enhance the patient’s nose without removing their unique ethnic facial traits.
- After your procedure, you’ll have to wear a cast. It’s removed after about 1 week.
Rhinoplasty patients will experience swelling and bruising. By the end of the second week, much of the swelling and bruising should have subsided. By this time, you can return to work without obvious signs of having surgery done.
- You’ll have to wait a year or longer to see the final results.
Your final result won’t appear immediately after surgery. It can take a full year for all of the swelling in the tip to go down. Your nose will continue to heal and morph into its final result over the course of 10-18 months after surgery.
- The cost of a nose job varies depending where you live or seek surgery.
In Toronto, the average cost of rhinoplasty is $7,375.
- The general procedure time spent on rhinoplasty is around 1.5 hours.
For revision or complex rhinoplasty, the procedure time could take 3.5-5 hours.
Rhinoplasty is one of the more complex cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in the field. In experienced and well-trained hands, you’re bound to be left with beautiful results.