Laser Hair Removal Aftercare | Importance of After Care for Laser Hair Removal
If you’ve just undergone laser hair removal treatment or are just about to, there are a number of laser hair removal aftercare do’s and don’ts you need to know to ensure successful treatment.
Do’s and Don’ts of Laser Hair Removal Aftercare
- Only Shave. Do not Pluck, Wax, Tweeze, Thread or Use any other form of hair removal during your treatment program
Waxing, plucking , tweezing or any other form of hair removal bar shaving following Laser hair removal treatment is not advised. Waxing, plucking and all other hair removal methods excluding shaving (don’t do immediately after treatment) can reverse the treatment undertaken (ie the treated hair follicles regrow).
- Wait 4-5 days before Shaving again
You can resume your current shaving routine four to five days after laser hair removal treatment. This will allow the skin to recuperate properly from treatment.
- Avoid any UV ray exposure
It is strongly advised that you avoid direct sunlight and sunbeds during the full course of treatment at least two to four weeks after treatment. Your skin should be as light as possible at the time of treatment as the laser can target darker skin pigments. This is also why it is recommended that you undergo Laser hair removal during the fall and winter months as it is less likely you will be outside exposed to UV rays for prolonged periods of time. Remember to always apply a high SPF sunscreen if your skin will be exposed to harmful UV rays following treatment and in the following weeks after treatment.
- Do not apply any topical products onto the treated area for 24 hrs or until the skin’s redness subsides
The skin in the area treated can be red and sensitive after treatment. As such, a good rule of thumb is to avoid using all topical products on the treated area. However, Aloe Vera can alleviate any itching and redness. (Protip: Refrigerate the Aloe Vera before treatment for additional cooling benefits). If you have undergone treatment in the facial area, you should refrain from applying any cosmetics for 24 hours. If you must apply cosmetics it is recommend that you go light and use mineral based cosmetics.
- Wear Loose Clothing
Your skin and hair follicles can retain a certain amount of heat so it is advisable to wear loose clothing for your comfort and for less skin irritation.
- Avoid Hot Showers, Hot Baths, Steam Rooms, Saunas for at least 24hrs
Avoid Hot water and heat following laser hair removal. The treated area will be sensitive following treatment so it is best to avoid hot water and hot, humid environments to aid in your skin’s recovery.
It is recommended to lightly exfoliate the treated area three to five days following treatment to assist in the shedding of the treated hair follicles.
- Do not scratch or rub the treated area
While it is rare, some individuals can experience a temporary itching sensation after laser hair removal treatment. If this momentary side effect occurs, it is imperative that you not scratch, itch or rub the area. Scratching can lead to scabbing which could result in scarring. As mentioned previously, we recommend applying Aloe Vera to ease this irritation and aid recovery.
Laser hair removal post care Do’s and Don’ts Recap
- Only Shave. Any other form of hair removal may result in reversing the treatment undertaken.
- Wait at least 4-5 days before you shave again.
- Avoid all UV rays (both Sun and Artificial) and wear UV protection in the weeks that follow treatment if you are going to be exposed to UV rays.
- Avoid applying cosmetics to the treated area for 24 hours
- Wear loose clothing
- Avoid Hot water for 24 hours
- Lightly exfoliate the treated area three to five days following treatment
- Do not scratch or rub the treated area. If itchy or irritated, apply Aloe Vera to help alleviate these symptoms.
If you would like to learn more laser hair removal, visit our laser hair removal treatment page.
Should you have a question regarding laser hair removal or would like to book a laser hair removal appointment, Call 877-712-8367 or fill in the online consultation form here.