How Millennials and Gen-Z Are Changing The Industry
In recent years, younger generations have begun to reject dated, unrealistic beauty standards in a new approach involving high-quality skincare regimens and focusing on enhancing their natural beauty. With this newfound interest in moisturizers over makeup, beauty industry giants have had to change their approach.
Some observations made in the past few years amongst the Gen-Z and Millennial cohorts include:
- Frugality with a twist. While younger generations may be frugal when it comes to clothes by buying from Depop or thrift stores, they spend money on high-quality skincare and beauty products as they see them as an investment.
- Authenticity is key. When Millennials and Gen-Z trust a brand or see that they have a spokesperson they like, they will buy from that brand. Being transparent about what your product does and having authentic reviews creates lifelong customers.
- The importance of diversity and inclusion. Younger buyers want to ensure the company they’re supporting is inclusive and carries a wide range of foundation shades, hair products, or skincare products for all skin types.
- Spending more on skincare than makeup. When you invest in high-quality skincare, you will spend less on concealer and foundation in the long run.
- Avoiding trends, finding what works for you. With so many trends popping up daily, it’s hard to keep up. That’s why younger generations find it easier to figure out which trends work for them and stick to it instead of being ever-changing.
- Self-expression through makeup. With shows like Euphoria, Riverdale, and Gossip Girl, there is an endless amount of inspiration to be found, and Gen-Z especially is getting more creative with their makeup looks.
- Erasing toxic masculinity. Younger generations of men are investing in nail care and skincare, both as a form of self-care and to improve their appearance. The beauty industry isn’t just for women anymore!
At-home skincare is on the rise, with online platforms providing more accessible information from dermatologists, customers, celebrities/models, and makeup artists. Creating your personal skincare routine at home is easier than ever, especially as YouTubers and TikTok celebs are asked to “drop their skincare routine” or “share their holy grail products.” With these recommendations in mind, people can buy products based on their needs and have a spa day in their bathroom.
Some popular products that are recommended include serums, retinol, sunscreens, natural acne remedies, and Korean skincare products.
Enhancing Your Natural Beauty
Younger generations are choosing to enhance and rejuvenate their natural beauty in a myriad of ways: spending more on skincare than makeup, wearing SPF every day, using collagen-rich products, improving skin texture, and opting for less invasive or non-invasive skin treatments to reduce signs of fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging.
Call for Clean Ingredients
Gen-X and Millennials tend to look at the ingredients of the products they’re using on their skin – it’s all about trial and error. Someone may respond badly to aloe but well to tea tree oil, so they will seek out products with one and not the other. There are even websites dedicated to choosing which products are best for your skin type, whether you have dry, oily, or combination skin, and what your problem areas are.
These generations are especially interested in “clean” ingredients in their skincare, meaning vegan or natural ingredients that they can read, understand, and know will make them feel good.
Emerging Trends In The Dermatology Industry
While Gen-X and Millennials tend to avoid trends and niches to curate their own fool-proof skincare routine that will last them a lifetime, a few trends never die. Below are a few dermatology trends that are here to stay.
Probiotic And Organic Skincare
Organic skincare products are available, with ingredients produced without pesticides or other chemicals. There is also a focus on probiotic skincare products, meaning creams, oils, serums, and masks infused with live bacteria are known to boost the skin’s healing powers.
Acne Scar Treatment And Laser Skin Resurfacing
Many younger people suffer from acne scars; previously, these scars were only capable of being treated with serums or covering them up with concealer. However, there are now many types of non-invasive treatments, such as laser therapy and dermabrasion, that can eliminate acne scarring and allow these generations to enjoy smooth, clear skin.
Combining nonsurgical cosmetic procedures like laser hair removal, chemical peels, and Botox injectables provide you with ideal results that are still natural looking and long-lasting if you attend regular sessions and maintain a balanced skincare routine and diet.
Micro-fillers smooth out lines and wrinkles in the eyes, nose, neck, and middle of the face. They can be used to smooth out pores, decrease oil production, and they have a longer-lasting effect by stimulating collagen production – a method often sought out by people in their 20s and 30s as a preventative measure.
Thread lifts stimulate collagen production and promise an immediate improvement, catering to the desire for instant gratification that is extremely popular nowadays. Clients can also enjoy an increase in the lifting effect for a full year following the procedure, whether they’re using it as a preventative measure or to achieve the high cheekbones and brows of models like Bella Hadid.
Laser Skin Tightening
Laser skin tightening can be done quite quickly by a cosmetic dermatologist, and there is no recovery time needed. Younger generations use it to treat wrinkles and sagging in the face, neck, midsection, legs, arms, and buttocks.
Laser Tattoo Removal
Especially popular amongst millennials, many seek laser tattoo removal to rid themselves of designs they once thought were trendy but are now dated. Med spas provide this service as demand is on the rise, and after around 10 rounds of laser treatments over a year, you can enjoy clear skin.
Contact SpaMedica for all of Your Skincare Needs
We are here to honour your beauty and work to revitalize and reveal your youthful skin through modern and innovative medical aesthetics and skin care services. There are a number of options that can be used alone or in combination to rejuvenate your appearance and improve your sense of well-being. Book a consultation today!