A chemical peel is a rejuvenating facial treatment that involves a chemical solution being applied to the skin to remove the impurities on the top layers of the dermis. The skin grows back smoother, firmer, and clearer. People seek out chemical peel treatments to reduce the look of wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, scarring, and signs of aging.
You can combine your chemical peel with other procedures or choose from varying levels of depth for your peel (light, medium, or deep) depending on the severity of your concerns and what you would like to treat.
What Is a Chemical Peel?
Chemical peels are performed in our state-of-the-art clinic, and before your procedure, Dr. Malika Ladha will clean your face, make sure your hair is tied back, and cover your eyes with gauze or goggles to prevent the solution from getting anywhere but on your skin.
If you receive a light chemical peel, you will experience minimal discomfort. However, you may receive pain medication or anesthesia with a medium or deep chemical peel. We can also numb the treatment area for a deep peel with fluids being delivered through a vein.
You may feel a slight stinging feeling on your skin when the solution is applied, but a neutralizing treatment will be applied to the treated skin to remove the chemical solution. You will be provided with a fan to soothe and cool your skin, and for a deep peel, you’ll be given IV fluids. Expect your skin to be red, swollen, irritated, and tight for the first few days following your treatment.
Our Experience with Chemical Peel
Using our advanced facial treatment techniques for surgical and non-surgical procedures, like chemical peels, the SpaMedica team produced incredible results with state-of-the-art equipment so you can look years younger. Under the guidance of the esteemed Dr. Malika Ladha, the SpaMedica team aims to help you enhance your natural beauty, minimize any side effects that may occur after your treatment, and provide you with both comfort and beautiful results.
Dr. Malika Ladha is Toronto’s go-to expert for chemical peels, performing detailed and complex facial treatments for over two decades. Being in the right hands and having your chemical peel treatment performed at a highly recommended facility like SpaMedica in Toronto means you can enjoy quick healing and youthful results.
What to Expect After A Chemical Peel
Below we will discuss what you should expect after the various types of peels, some treatment risks to be aware of, and what you can look forward to with your results.
After a Light Chemical Peel
After a light chemical peel, the skin will be dry, red, and slightly irritated. Dr. Malika Ladha may provide a protective ointment that you can apply to your skin, and you should be able to wear makeup by the second day after your treatment. In one week, you will see full healing results. Your skin may appear lighter or darker than normal for a few days, but this is normal and will subside.
After a Medium Chemical Peel
After a medium chemical peel, the skin will be red, swollen, and slightly stinging. You may be provided with a protective ointment to soothe and moisturize the skin. After one week, you can use makeup to cover up any redness. Use cold compresses and over-the-counter pain medication to reduce discomfort.
As your swelling decreases, the treated areas will begin to form a crust, which will darken and then peel off on their own. Do not scratch these areas; you will be fully healed after two weeks. Redness can last a couple of months, depending on your skin’s sensitivity and the areas treated.
After a Deep Chemical Peel
After a deep chemical peel, your redness and swelling will be more severe, and you will experience some symptoms of burning and throbbing in the treatment areas. Your eyelids may swell shut, but this will subside in a few days following your treatment. A dressing will be applied to the treated skin, and painkillers will be prescribed. You should soak your skin and apply ointment several times a day for two weeks.
You will develop your new skin within two weeks, but redness will last for a few months. The treated skin will change in colour while it crusts and falls off to reveal the new skin, and you will require follow-up visits so Dr. Malika Ladha can monitor your healing. You can use cosmetics to conceal redness after two weeks, and you should make sure to use sunscreen every day.
While chemical peels boast many anti-aging, and refreshing benefits, there are also some risks associated with the healing process, including:
- Redness, swelling, and scabbing. Redness for all peels will last for a few months
- Scarring. This is a very rare side effect, but if you have sensitive skin and seek out a deeper peel, you may experience scarring. Antibiotics will be provided to soften the appearance of these scars and Dr. Malika Ladha offers many scar-reducing treatments.
- Hyperpigmentation & Changes in Skin Tone. A chemical peel can make your skin darker or lighter than normal, which is often common in patients with more melanin in their skin. This will subside after a few weeks to a month.
- Infection. If aftercare instructions are not followed fully, your chemical peel healing process can lead to a bacterial, fungal, or viral infection.
- Heart damage. A deep chemical peel is a detailed, extensive treatment that requires close monitoring and can cause an increase in heart rate. To prevent any internal damage, the SpaMedica team will arrange several follow-up appointments with you to monitor your healing progress to prevent any complications.
With a light chemical peel, you will see a natural and light improvement in your skin’s tone and texture, along with a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Your results can increase with repeated treatments if you would like to optimize your glow.
After a medium chemical peel, your skin will be noticeably smoother and refreshed, causing you to look years younger. After a deep chemical peel, you will see dramatic improvements in regards to wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, hyperpigmentation, scarring, acne, and skin tone and texture.
To learn more about the chemical peel recovery process, check out our blog.
Chemical Peel Aftercare Tips
You can heal quickly and reveal optimal results after your chemical peel by following these aftercare instructions, which will be further explained and outlined by Dr. Malika Ladha. After your chemical peel, you should:
- Wash your face with water. Cold water is best, as it can help soothe tingling, swelling, and redness in the face.
- Hydrate. Hydrating is important for both your body and your skin, so drink plenty of water while healing to avoid your skin feeling tight, and moisturize your skin every day to recover your skin’s protective barrier. We highly recommend a thicker moisturizer with SPF!
- Apply sunscreen. Your skin will be extremely delicate and sensitive after your chemical peel, so avoid direct sun exposure for as much as possible and apply sunscreen daily.
- Avoid excessive sweating and movement. Partaking in extensive exercise or sitting in saunas increases blood flow to the face, intensifying the tingling, itching, redness, and warmth of your peeled skin. Try to avoid these activities for the first few days following your treatment.
- Avoid harsh chemicals on the skin. Using exfoliants, scrub brushes, or face washes with harsh ingredients can lead to more sensitivity and redness, so wait a week after your peel to begin using these products if necessary.
When You Should See a Specialist
If you want to revitalize your skin and rejuvenate your youthful glow, you are a great candidate for a chemical peel and should see a SpaMedica specialist to put your best face forward. You should be in good health, have realistic expectations for your treatment results, and follow all aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Malika Ladha.
SpaMedica is Toronto’s choice for chemical peel treatments due to our level of expertise and experience. Our state-of-the-art clinic and techniques put patients at ease, and we are here for you every step of the way. Dr. Malika Ladha is a double board-certified dermatologist and focuses on achieving optimal aesthetic outcomes by delivering a comprehensive, multi-modal approach.
A chemical peel can eliminate skin concerns like wrinkles, fine lines, acne, scarring, hyperpigmentation, and sun spots. Book a consultation with the SpaMedica team today to pamper your skin and reveal your full beauty.