Blepharoplasty (Eyelid surgery) removes or tightens sagging skin around the eyes, resulting in a smoother, more youthful appearance.
Length of Procedure:
Before & After Gallery
With age, wrinkles develop on the side of the eye, called crows-feet, and these wrinkles extend to the lower lid region. The loss of support and deflation of our cheeks, fat pads can develop.
The eyelid changes result in looking tired, sad, beleaguered and deflated. The frustration that eyelid aging can cause makes it one of the most common procedures sought after at SpaMedica.
Blepharoplasty Before & After
To ensure a successful Blepharoplasty surgery, you will be advised to take precautions:
- A pre-op evaluation for dry eye and other ocular diseases is important, Dr. Mulholland will discuss this in your consultation.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), Vitamin E, herbal supplements or any medications containing these compounds for two weeks before surgery. Acetaminophen (Tylenol or generic equivalent) and the daily multivitamin are fine.
- Refrain from smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco delay healing and can result in scarring.
- Avoid sun damage two weeks before surgery. We recommend wearing an SPF 30 or higher.
- Your prescriptions (typically an antibiotic and pain med) will be given to you the day of surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Arrange for someone to take you home after the procedure. You will not be allowed to drive or be leave the clinic alone. Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery
Dr. Mulholland will provide you full details on your pre-operative care. Ensure you follow the stringent guidelines.
Cosmetic Blepharoplasty surgery and eyelid rejuvenation surgery is very common. Generally, as we age, loss of fat and volume support of the brow and upper lid result in a droopiness of the brow and excess upper lid skin. This holding of the upper lid skin will descend upon our upper eyelid structures creating a deflated, tired, saggy and aged appearance.
Excess upper lid skin will also limit the ability to apply makeup effectively to the upper eyelid region.
At SpaMedica Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Centre, Dr. Mulholland can perform the Blepharoplasty procedure (also referred to as an eye lift) of the upper and lower lid under local anesthesia, IV sedation or general anesthesia depending on the desires and health status of his cosmetic Blepharoplasty patients.
Your SpaMedica in clinic eye lift procedure will be complemented with a recommendation for our medical grade Home Skin Care which will help support and enhance your surgical results.
The operation is performed on an outpatient or overnight basis, under sedation and local, IV sedation or general anesthesia. The incisions are made where the natural crease should be in the upper lids and below the lash line in the lower lids. Excess fat and skin are removed. If only excess fat is present in the lower lids, it may be removed through an incision inside the lower lids conjunctively, with no external incision or scar (Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty).
After Care Instructions and Expectations
All sutures are usually removed within 4-6 days. Initial mild discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Bruising and sensitivity to light can last up to a week or two, but is generally able to be camouflaged with make-up after 7 days Swelling progressively disappears over several weeks. Eye makeup can be used shortly after sutures are removed.
- Have someone drive you home after surgery and help you at home for 1-2 days.
- Constipation is a side effect of decreased activity, use of pain medicines, and dehydration. Be sure to walk, drink fluids regularly, and consider adding raw fruit to your diet.
- Take pain medication as prescribed. Do not take aspirin or any products containing aspirin unless approved by your surgeon.
- Do not drink alcohol, drive a car, or make important decisions when taking pain medications.
- If you are taking vitamins with iron, resume these as tolerated.
- Do not smoke. This can be the most significant cause of serious healing issues.
- Sleep with your head elevated 45 degrees for several days to minimize swelling.
- Start walking as soon as possible – this helps to reduce swelling, lower the chance of developing blood clots and/or pneumonia, and avoid constipation.
- Avoid activities that raise your blood pressure, including bending, lifting and rigorous sports. Keep activities to a minimum for 3-5 days; avoid strenuous activities for 2-3 weeks. Read or watch television after 2-3 days.
- Return to work in 10-14 days.
- Avoid exposing scars to sun for at least 12 months. Always use a strong sun block, if sun exposure is unavoidable (SPF 30 or greater).
- Keep incisions clean with soap and water and inspect daily for signs of infection.
- Use cold saline compresses for the first 24 hours for comfort and to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Wait at least 2 weeks before wearing contact lenses.
- You will have sensitivity to sunlight, wind and other irritants for several weeks, so wear sunglasses and a special sun block made for eyelids.
- Maximum discomfort should occur in the first few days, improving each day thereafter. Expect temporary swelling of the eyelids, tightness of lids, bruising, dryness, burning, and itching of eyes. You may have gummy eyes for approximately 1 week.
Discuss maintenance plans with your surgeon at your consultation or in a surgical follow-up visit. There are various products and procedures that can be used to preserve the results of your eye lift surgery.
Risks/Is It Safe/Side Effects
As with any kind of surgery, cosmetic surgeries carry many benefits as well as some risk. Following our detailed instructions for pre-operative and post-operative care will maximize benefits and minimize the risk.
The most common risks associated with Blepharoplasty are the same as would be associated with any other surgeries. This includes infections, excessive swelling, pain and discomfort, as well as possible allergic reactions to anesthesia.
Dr. Mulholland is very thorough in discussing your expectations of the outcome and what is reasonable to expect. He will ensure there is clear understanding and agreement on the outcome. Patients experience more youthful, refreshed and vibrant appearance while also looking natural.
A primary benefit of eyelid surgery is the aesthetic enhancement. People who undergo cosmetic eyelid surgery tend to look years younger and more awake and alert. Scarring is minimal and hidden expertly in the natural folds of the eyelid. If you have vision issues related to the sagging of your eyelids, cosmetic eyelid surgery can correct that, making better vision and higher quality of life a major benefit for patients.
Additional Procedures to Enhance Results
Forehead Lift, Face Lift, Chemical Peel or Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing, or volume replace with fat grafting or injectable fillers into the sunken areas of the under eye (also called the “tear through”) or the eyebrow. Volume replacement with injectables and mini-lifts also work well with Blepharoplasty surgery.
If you are interested in seeking a consultation with SpaMedica, Dr. Mulholland and his team of experts, simply fill out our online consultation request form or call SpaMedica now at 877-695-2835 to schedule a consultation. You can also submit the “ask a question” form and upload up to 3 photos for Dr. Mulholland to review.
Dr. Mulholland has performed live cosmetic eyelid rejuvenation procedures on local and national television shows in both the United States and Canada. He has helped develop many of the popular nonsurgical lower lid laser and fractional radiofrequency rejuvenation treatments that require no surgery and little downtime and can help reduce wrinkles and the signs of lower lid aging and tiredness.
Dr. Mulholland helped pioneer many of the uses of the lower lid, nonsurgical injectable soft tissue fillers to camouflage aging, bags and wrinkles without the need for surgery.
Your SpaMedica Blepharoplasty may be combined with soft tissue fillers (dermal fillers, laser skin rejuvenation, fractional lasers, Botox Injectable or Myofacials to enhance your treatment result.
Cost and Payment Options
The cost is typically between $4000-6000. Patients can have Medicard payment plans arranged for their procedure. Patients can have low-interest rate payment plans and be approved in under 30 minutes
SpaMedica is dedicated to providing our Blepharoplasty patients with the highest level of care, utilizing the most advanced and effective treatments. The SpaMedica surgical Blepharoplasty treatment team will discuss and educate you on your treatment options and will design the best possible eyelid rejuvenation treatment plan for you and your skin.
Dr. Stephen Mulholland is both a Board Certified plastic surgeon and an experienced head and neck oncologic surgeon. His years of experience repairing eyelid and orbital defects following cancer and trauma place Dr. Mulholland in an ideal position to offer you both surgical and nonsurgical options and the most effective surgical treatments possible.
If you have any questions regarding your eyelid rejuvenation surgical treatment options, don’t hesitate to call us at our Toronto SpaMedica offices at 877-695-2835 to schedule a consultation. Alternatively, you can book a consultation online.