What is a Dermal Filler?
Dermal fillers are one of the most common types of cosmetic procedures, especially for those who are noticing signs of aging on their face. Dermal fillers are minimally invasive and can be completed in 15-20 minutes.
Dermal fillers are an injectable treatment option for those who want to reduce the look of wrinkles and fine lines. There are many forms of dermal fillers that can be used to accomplish your aesthetic goals. Some patients may require more than one injection to achieve optimal results, but that will be discussed during your consultation.
Types of Dermal Fillers
The main categories of dermal fillers include temporary dermal fillers, semi-permanent dermal fillers, and permanent dermal fillers. SpaMedica offers many treatment options that fall under all three categories, and these treatment options include:
- 5 minute nose job
- Lip augmentation
Temporary Dermal Fillers
The most common type of dermal filler are temporary dermal fillers. Within this category, there are hyaluronic acid-based fillers, calcium hydroxylapatite fillers, and collagen-based fillers. Your filler results will last between 6 months to one year, depending on the amount of injections you receive and how often you return for new injections.
Semi-Permanent Dermal Fillers
Semi-permanent fillers are more difficult for the body to break down and absorb as they are more viscous, but this means that the results last for longer. These fillers are made of a synthetic compound called poly-L-lactic acid used to treat deep lines and wrinkles. With occasional touch-ups, results last 12-18 months.
Permanent Dermal Fillers
Permanent dermal fillers are the most viscous filler and therefore have the longest lasting results. Permanent dermal fillers are not decomposable, so they can’t be broken down quickly by the body. They are formulated to be injected into the treatment areas that consist of thicker skin and cast last up to 5+ years.
Temporary vs. Permanent Dermal Fillers
Both temporary and permanent dermal fillers rejuvenate the skin to give you a youthful appearance without the risk of an invasive procedure. Hyaluronic fillers are injected into the skin to support facial structure and bring volume to the face.
Pros and Cons of Temporary Dermal Fillers
Some pros of temporary dermal fillers include:
- They’re reversible, so if you are unhappy with your results, they will go away eventually or can be adjusted.
- They are non-invasive and require minimal downtime – after 24 hours you can return to all activities.
Some cons of temporary dermal fillers include:
- They are only used for small areas, so if you have a large amount of wrinkles you may need to opt for a more permanent solution.
- You will have to get touch-ups if you want to maintain your youthful appearance for longer.
Pros and Cons of Permanent Dermal Fillers
Some pros of permanent dermal fillers include:
- Permanent fillers are a cost-effective solution as you only have to pay for the treatment once.
- They are non-invasive but still provide permanent, youthful results.
Some cons of permanent dermal fillers include:
- As the name suggests, permanent fillers are permanent – so you have to make sure you are in the hands of professionals who fully understand your desired look.
- Once you get permanent fillers, you cannot mix them with temporary fillers.
How to Choose the Best Dermal Filler
Over the past 22 years, SpaMedica has continued to use industry-leading technology to pioneer new, non-invasive aesthetic laser and skincare combinations and therapies, establishing the clinic as Canada’s most recognized aesthetic care centre. As a leader in providing the best possible surgical and non-surgical procedures, we take pride in the work we do, all under the care of the most devoted, discrete, and experienced team.
When you book a consultation with us, we will help you find the best treatment plan available to you and the best dermal filler option for your goals and desired results.
Juvederm is one of the most popular dermal fillers. The filler is composed of hyaluronic acid – a natural sugar found in the body that gives skin moisture, volume, and elasticity. The filler shapes the face, softens lines, wrinkles, and folds, as well as add volume lost due to aging.
Results typically last six months to a year, at which point patients are advised to return to SpaMedica in Toronto for maintenance injections. Animated areas like the lips tend to require re-injection sooner.
• Known for more smooth and natural-looking results.
• Results are noticeable immediately following treatment.
• Most patients only require a single procedure.
• Not meant for use in areas with thicker skin.
• The cost of treatment can be slightly higher
What is Juvederm Best Used For?
Juvederm is a family of dermal fillers, each designed to correct different cosmetic concerns.
For example, Juvederm Ultra XC is indicated for lip plumping, while Juvederm Voluma is used to add youthful contours to the cheeks.
Common areas treated include the “marionette lines” around the mouth and chin, smile lines, nasolabial folds, deflated cheeks, and direct lip injections can be administered for added plumpness.
Sculptra is a soft tissue filler used to create a more youthful appearance by replacing lost collagen to smooth out facial wrinkles, folds, and furrows that develop around your cheeks, mouth, lips, and neck. Unlike other fillers, Sculptra stimulates the skin to produce collagen on its own.
A series of treatments are recommended, and, after three months, you will begin to see increased volume and improvement in wrinkles. Maintenance treatments are typically required every 1-3 years.
• Unlike soft tissue hyaluronic sugar gels, Sculptra stimulates your own collagen growth response!
• Sculptra is biocompatible, so no allergy pretesting is necessary.
• It lasts longer than Juvederm but still has the advantage of being impermanent.
• Sculptra usually requires a second or third injection a few months after the initial treatment to achieve the desired collagen stimulation results.
• Results take 4 to 8 weeks to become visible as it takes time for collagen to be synthesized.
• Typical mild side effects associated with fillers (swelling, bruising) may occur weeks post-procedure.
What is Sculptra Best Used For?
Sculptra is used to diminish facial wrinkles and folds and has been clinically approved to treat smile lines and other wrinkles around the nose and mouth as well as chin wrinkles.
The dermal filler isn’t recommended for the eye area or the lips.
Restylane fillers are very similar to Juvederm, as they are also composed of hyaluronic acid. However, they are thicker in consistency and intended to treat deeper wrinkles.
Restylane has a family of products designed to treat various problem areas. Restylane smoothes away wrinkles and folds; Restylane Lyft, a thicker gel, corrects severe wrinkles and folds and volume loss; and Restylane Silk enhances the lips.
• Add volume and fullness to the skin to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
• A family of products to treat different areas.
• Results are noticeable immediately following treatment.
• Some swelling, redness, pain, bruising, or tenderness is felt after the procedure.
• Results last for around six months, less than that of Juvederm (up to 12 months).
What is Restylane Best Used For?
Restylane can treat anything from moderate to severe wrinkles and folds.
For deeper folds – perhaps the nasolabial folds – Restylane Lyft and Perlane are thicker sugar gels that can improve results. Restylane Silk is the filler of choice for enhancing the lip outline, adding volume, and filling in the lines around the mouth.
Restylane, the namesake product, is perfect for injections under the eyes, mild facial wrinkles, and lip enhancement as there is often less swelling than other products.
Revanesse – like Juvederm and Restylane – is a dermal filler made of hyaluronic acid. The difference is in Revanesse’s uniform, spherical particles that are smaller than competitors’, leaving a more natural result with less swelling,
Revanesse is the only dermal filler manufactured in North America and right here in Toronto! In the USA and around the world. Revanesse is FDA cleared and is very popular and is sold Again, there are several different Revanesse filler products available to treat different areas,iversa for lines and folds, Contour for shaping cheeks and facial shaping and Kiss for lips.
• The results are apparent immediately.
• Lower rate of swelling compared to other dermal fillers.
• The results may last longer than those of other hyaluronic acid fillers.
• Temporary results. Follow-up treatments will be needed every year to maintain results.
• Revanesse is a less accessible filler than Juvederm and Restylane. SpaMedica is proud to be one of the few practices offering the dermal filler.
What is Revanesse Best Used For?
Revanesse products can lift facial volume, soften lines and wrinkles, and refine facial features.
Revanesse Ultra is designed to treat deeper wrinkles and folds, and Revanesse Kiss is a lip filler that produces fuller lips, natural in feel and appearance.
Deciding which dermal filler to choose can be difficult, especially with so many options available. Get in touch with the experts at SpaMedica today, our skills and experience can direct you towards the right choice for the results you desire. Contact our Toronto centre today to schedule a consultation!